Tile Based Level Editor
The Level Editor is an important tool in the making of any kind of games, and when it comes to 2D platformer, having a Tile Based Level Editor is an essential part of the project, it’s not an easy thing to create compared to the usual behavior scripting, but everyone who tried to make a 2d game without an editor will tell you that making this tool definitely worth your time, the main benefits of this tool are :
- Accelerate the developing process
- Allow non-programmers members of the team to create levels
- If optimized, it can be an excellent features for players to create their own levels.
So how does this thing works ?
The answer of this questions will varies from one game to another, however, the essential functions of every Level editors are probably always the same, and in this case, for a tile based level editor, the main thing that you need is creating a tile.
A tile is a game entity that consist of a Sprite (image) and a specific behavior, for example a ground tile can be a brown block image that have a script to tell the player that he has to stop when it collides with this tile
After having this main function done, you would probably look to add more features to your Editor, and again, this will always depends on the nature of your game, but another basic function should be present in every level editor, which is the ability to switch between different tiles during the creations process :
Once you have that done, you would probably look to expand your level, which mean you will need more space to create bigger levels, and for that you need a navigation tool :
Finally, when you are done torturing your computer memory by adding a ridiculous number of tiles, you would probably like to save that huge amount of data somewhere and obviously load it again when you want to, and since a tile map is nothing more than a two dimensional array of data, you can save your level into a text file, and load it whenever you want :
0 = empty tile || 1= white block
And that’s it !!
Now you have a level editor that is ready to be used inside your game, the only things you need are :
- a game concept
- an art style
- an artist to realize that art style
- tons of level designs (you will probably remake each one 784 times)
- something unique that will make your game special
- music and sound effects
And that’s it !!
Now your game is done and it’s ready to be played by millions of dedicated Gamers !! you just need few more things :
- selling your parents house to afford the marketing campaign
- someone who will take care of your marketing campaign
- disparate attempts to contact the famous gaming press
- strange but also another disparate attempts to contact the infamous gaming press
- ignore all the above and go in a one-man-army marketing strategy
- post on Facebook and get 3 likes and 0 comments
- make a tweet and get only 3 retweets, two of them are bots
Collision Detection \o/ !!